Cape Gooseberry from Colombia and Papaya Imports
Dear valued customer,
Imports of Cape Gooseberry from Colombia allowed as of June 2
The Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service has issued a final rule that, effective June 2, will allow the importation of cape gooseberry from Colombia into the United States without cold treatment. Such fruit must be produced in accordance with a systems approach consisting of the following requirements.
– production in pest-free places of production in the Bogota Savannah or the neighboring municipalities above 2,200 meters of elevation in the departments of Boyacá and Cundinamarca
– trapping for the Mediterranean fruit fly conducted in places of production (any capture of a Medfly will result in the immediate cancellation of all exports from farms within five square kilometers of the detection site until APHIS and the national plant protection organization of Colombia agree that the risk has been mitigated)
– fruit packed in boxes marked with the identity of the originating farm and packed in sealed and closed containers prior to shipping
– importation in commercial consignments only
– accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate issued by the NPPO of Colombia certifying that the fruit has been produced in accordance with the systems approach
Papaya Imports update
The Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service is requesting comments no later than July 1 on the proposed three-year extension of an information collection associated with the importation of papayas from certain regions of Brazil, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama into the continental United States, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Such imports require the use of certain information collection activities, including phytosanitary certificates, maintaining fruit fly monitoring records, and labeling of boxes.
If you have any additional questions please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your continued support