First Time Importers


If you’re ready to begin importing perishables into the United States, you’ll want to be sure that you’ve completed all the necessary paperwork correctly and on time, and that you understand the regulations and requirements for clearing such time-sensitive cargo. Customized Brokers is pleased to offer the following resources to help first-time importers comply with FDA, USDA, USDA-AMS and FWS requirements.

  • We’ve made available all the First-Time Importer Forms you’ll need and can provide consultation  for importing perishables – such as food and refrigerated cargo – into the United States throughout the process. Adding us to your team can help expedite your cargo, keep you in compliance, and eliminate delays and unnecessary fees.

Required Documentation</span >

Customs Border Protection (CBP)</span >

  • Continuous Annual Customs Bond
  • Customs Entries Documentation
  • We encourage our clients to become C-TPAT certified.
  • View Crowley’s C-TPAT certification: CTPAT Certification (PDF)
  • Learn more about C-TPAT

Food and Drug Administration (FDA)</span >

  • FDA Agent Representation
  • FDA Red List Removal
  • FDA Food Facility Registration
  • Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)</span >

  • USDA Import Permit
  • Agriculture Marketing Service
  • USDA Quarterly Update – Port Everglades, FL
  • Country of Origin Labeling (COOL) Requirements
  • USDA Fumigation Requirements
  • Plastic Packing Requirements

Additional Important Information</span >

  • Registration Names and Addresses
  • We recommend that the same name and address format (MID) is always maintained to match your registration. This will help to ensure that your cargo will be recognized by Customs and will reduce the number of unnecessary delays and increased samplings.
  • Photo and Federal Tax Identification
  • A copy of your photo identification document and Federal Tax ID is required for Customized Brokers to clear your cargo.
  • First-Time Importer Forms